Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Technically Tuesday?

i am a major morning person but ugh, 2:30 am doesn't even feel like a new day. Scarlett has been up.all.night. coughing her little head off.  I just don't get it, I feel like I take every precaution to keep her healthy but her tiny ears are my nemesis...she has had 4 ear infections in the last few months and I'm 99.9 % sure she has another one right now.  A friend of mine recommended garlic oil in her ears...she really knows her stuff and is always right on target with home remedies, ideas to avoid "over doctoring", etc. So, I took her up on this suggestion last night and purchased garlic gel caps and filled Scarletts ears up with the goo...Holy Freaking Moley, it smells SOOOOOO bad, seriously Char, I may never forgive you!  :)  I mean, we are talking to the point of scalding my hands to remove the smell, sleeping with Vicks up my nose, (well, i actually do that anyway cause I love Vicks so much) and not sleeping all night because the combo gave me a migraine .  I should say though, I have the nose of a hound, I always know the instant a baby is wet or dirty and popcorn days at the branch are nauseating.  But, its the bigger picture, right?  If this avoids S having to be on a 4th antibiotic then it will all be worth it, I always appreciate suggestions and home remedies even if they do come at a disgusting "price", love you char! 

Since it is actually Tuesday and no longer Monday as my brain is so convinced, I will post a short favorite recipe that I make just about once a week, the added bonus is there is always enough for David and I to take lunch the next day!

MEAT POT PIE
2 great value boxed pie crust
1.5 lbs ground deer (yes, beef is fine too)
1 can cream of mushroom
1-2 Tablespoons of sour cream (milk if you're trying to watch calories)
1 Can whole kernel corn drained
1 Can whole new potatoes, drained and sliced to bite size
handful of shredded cheese (I typically use mozerella)

preheat oven to 425

in a cast iron, round dutch oven (or compareable dish) spray pam and lightly press 1 raw dough into bottom and curve up the sides
brown meat and season to taste (do this at the very beginning, or morning of to save time), toss all ingredients together and pour into pie crust
top with a little more cheese (obviously) and then cover with 2nd crust and pinch together sides forming a "pot pie"
bake 25-30 minutes, until crust is light golden  (if you are using meat that is cooked but refrigerated, warm it up before mixing with other ingredients)

***after baking let sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting

other tips; this dish can be a "catch all" for left overs too, I have often substituted the canned potatoes with left over fried potatos and onions from the night before, or even baked a couple potatoes in the microwave and sliced them up instead of the canned...I actually prefer it that way but if you are in a super rush the canned potatoes are still yummy.  I have also subbed the shredded cheese for ricotta and that makes for a creamier consistency.  Last version I have also tried is to sub the meat for pulled chicken and the corn for mexicorn, this is a different take on the same idea...not really my favorite but I am a deer kind of girl.


Hope you have a great, garlic free day!!


From my living room to yours...

  Just a girl and her Daddy

No comments: